S.S. Pan Pennsylvania, first of her class of Welding Shipyards tankers.
The Pan Pennsylvania Class Ships
These ships were built for the U.S. Maritime Commission during World War II, and were a special variation of the T3 type tankers being built.
Only these five of the T3-S-BF1 USMC designation were built. All five were built by Welding Shipyards, Inc., the company owned shipyard of National Bulk Carriers, Inc.
Somewhat odd looking, the poop deck extended roughly half the length of the ship, giving the after tank sets more volume.
Propulsion consisted of geared steam turbines driving a single shaft at 9,350 shaft horsepower. Construction progressed rapidly in the single way yard.
Pan Pennsylvania was completed first, in November 1943; the rest were delivered within eight months, Bulkero being completed in June 1944.